Re: [NTLK] The future of Newton--What's your best vision?

From: matthiasm <mm_at_matthiasm.com>
Date: Mon Jun 30 2008 - 02:49:59 EDT

On 30.06.2008, at 00:46, Kostas Theofilis wrote:

> Hmmm, none. The world seems to be in love with touch interfaces at
> this moment. The stylus seems outdated.

The smart phone is a different device. That is not to say that a new
Newton should not have a phone built in, but to me, a pda needs a
minimum form factor to be usable. I have been using the iPhone for
quite a while now, and I do like it, but it is completely unusable for
note taking, quick drawings, and even entering an appointment is quite
a pain.

I also use a small PC Tablet which is great in theory, but having
Windows XP on it sucks. Even in Sleep Mode, it takes several seconds
to be ready for data entry, and battery life is to short to be
mentioned.

I would like a double-sized iPhone with optional pen support, but also
touch screen. It should have pretty much the same hardware as the
Newton, minus PCMCIA, plus RAM, phone (3G), Wifi, and a high-contrast
screen. Everything else remains the same.

A device like this could be easily built because all components exist,
and have been tested in many devices. And they are cheap compenents
too. Get them onto a circuit board, make Linux and Einstein run on it
and we are set. One such platform is OpenMoko (openmoko.com). This
phone has everything I would need, except for a bigger screen. But
since this is a completely open and documented system, it may even be
possible to get a bigger screen and make a new casing.

It would even run a slightly modfied Newton ROM just out of the box.

<http://openmoko.com/>

----
http://robowerk.com/