Re: [NTLK] Back

From: Kostas Theofilis <roufianos_at_mac.com>
Date: Thu Jun 26 2008 - 17:39:47 EDT

Nice to hear from you guys.

Apostolos and I were in the same (and only back then) Greek MUG. Nice
to see there is also another one greek newt user. That makes 3 of us??

Anyway, here are my first impressions:

I was using a WinXP machine for the last two months, so I had to
connect with NCU over Windows. After some arcane rituals with IRQs,
COMs, and millions of restarts, it worked! I had to remember again
what to install (NIE etc) and I still cannot remember what packages do
I need to install in order to have all of NewtonWorks. But, today I
bought a new Macbook Pro and I downloaded NCX. It is absolutely
fantastic! With my USB2serial cable, everything was so easy. It gives
new life to Newton, I think (only minor complain is its tendency to
interpret drawings as japanese/chinese/whatever characters.)
My newt has find a permanent place in my computer bag (the bag had a
pocket perfectly suited for the MP200!!! a sign??). Today was its
first field deployment and it coped perfectly!!
I am using just the notes but I am quite happy. Battery life went down
to 97% after a lot of hours with backlight on and I am happy about
that too.

Regarding the question about the greek fonts:

There was a greek font and keyboard for newton. But, it was designed
with MacOS classic in mind. So it is a bit of a weird implementation
that does not work with GreekISO or UTF-8. But it would be a nice
project, to have unicode greek fonts for newton.Hmm..

Kostas