Re: [NTLK] OT Mac question

From: Giulio Marchi <emfdb_at_tiscali.it>
Date: Sat Jun 21 2008 - 04:49:39 EDT

Il giorno 21/giu/08, alle ore 08:40, Martin Joseph ha scritto:
> The built in IDE controller has a limitation with OSX where the boot
> volume MUST be completely contained in the first 8Gb of drive space.
> This is a bit annoying, but there are way's to work around it.

Hi Marty,

Right. After numerous reading on the subject (and a direct
experience), I am afraid to confirm that, however you manage to have
your system working and exceeding the first 8GB (it can also last for
a while, say weeks or even months), as soon as an item needed during
the boot resides above the infamous threshold of the first 8GB, the
machine will not boot.

I experienced this with a Wallstreet upgraded to Tiger and you can
have a look at this topic in Apple Discussions as well as to the
linked ones:
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1471833

My workarounds resulted in installing the two OSs (OS 9 and Tiger) in
the first 8GB and eventually regain space with symbolic links
workarounds.

Regards,

Giulio