Re: [NTLK] Something the Community Might Pay Forr

From: Morgan Aldridge <morgant_at_makkintosshu.com>
Date: Mon Jun 16 2008 - 11:57:38 EDT

On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 10:41 AM, Steve <steve@craftsathome.net> wrote:

> I was thinking of a way to
> 1. Backup everything (maybe to a SQLite database as a single blob)
> a. After tediously setting up things on my eMate, I'd like to go back to
> "last known good" setup at will.

You can definitely do this using `dd` from the command line on
Linux/Unix system, but there are probably other disk imaging utilities
that can do whole-disk imaging & restoration.

> 2. Cherry-pick individual packages or files that I'd want to add/remove to
> storage.
> a. I was thinking that it would be much faster and convenient to copy
> multimeg files
> to the eMate via the card instead of through the serial port.
> Not necessarily installing pkgs, but just moving big files on/off of
> the device.

I'm with Thomas (and I think Matthias has noted agreement in the past)
that this effort is probably better spent getting Einstein to talk to
media (whether disk images or ATA-based media. Einstein already offers
drag-and drop installation of packages and obviously all the regular
methods of moving, adding, and deleting packages.

> A full filesystem-level driver would be great, but I realize that it'd have
> to be an abstraction layer over the Newt DB, and therefore a *ton* of work.
> So yes, maybe a (Java? Mono?) cross-platform app that can handle the card's
> soup would be ideal.

Oh, and Einstein is fairly cross-platform.

I'm not saying some kind of Newton-formated media inspection wouldn't
be useful, but it might be a lower priority than adding the support to
Einstein.

Morgan Aldridge

---
morgant@makkintosshu.com