Re: [NTLK] New newton owner, need some help with flash card drivers.

From: Matt Howe <matthowe_at_comcast.net>
Date: Thu Jun 12 2008 - 23:34:14 EDT

You can use a Microsoft virtual machine running something like Win98SE if
your PC is too fast. I have this solution much better than the various slow
down techniques. Also, there is iNewton from
http://usuarios.arnet.com.ar/mtu16/. there is a registration cost but it is
first rate modern software. Whereas the VM Win98 solution is free if a bit
aged. I hope this helps. if you need to only extract data from your Newton
there are a number of other options.

Matt (Ducky) Howe
Owner of a MP2000U and an Emate
mhowe@gfn.org (Newton)
matthowe@comcast.net (Desktop)
http://home.comcast.net/~mhowe41/

Aaron Brigati wrote:

Patrick Wilson wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I just picked up a 2100 off of ebay and recieved it today, I'd like to
> use it primarily as an ebook reader.
>

> Can anyone point me to a driver that works in XP for the 4mb linear
> flash pcmcia card I recieved with it. I'd like to use it to transfer
> files. I tried using the generic driver in XP but it didn't work.
>

> Perhaps someone could educate me on how to get started.

<snip>
I use a Newton to PC serial cable I bought from www.jksalesinc.com
and the connection software downloaded from the archive at unna.org.
I use this on a Toshiba Libretto (an old 75 Mhz sub-notebook that's
actually a smidge smaller than the 2100!) and it works fine, but I'm
told there are speed issues running it on modern desktop PCs -
they're too fast. People have mentioned slowdown utilities like MoSlo
as a workaround.
<snip>