Re: [NTLK] OT - PowerBook OS Level to be a Newt Accessory?

From: Lord Groundhog <LordGroundhog_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu Jun 05 2008 - 18:23:51 EDT

~~~ On 2008/06/05 06:40, Jon Glass at jonglass@usa.net wrote ~~~

> On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 1:07 AM, Laurent Daudelin
> <laurent.daudelin@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I would think that 9.1 was even more stable ;-)
>
> Not in my experience!
>
> I have run it on a PB 1400, Pismo and am running it on a PowerWave
> with a G3 brain transplant. In fact, I moved the PowerWave back to
> 9.0.4, and have been happier with that over both 9.1 and 9.2.2...

Jon,

Just to put a different view, I first met OS 9 when I got my new Pismo, and
found 9.0.4 a little rocky but especially to be a bit uncompliant. I
upgraded to 9.1 and the lack of compliance of some of its bits stopped but
it became more unstable. 9.2.2 fixed both. I still use OS 9.2.2 as well as
OS X, for the pleasure of it as much as for the continued access to a few
key programs.

I know other people were complaining about OS 9.x, especially once OS X was
on the scene. I won't say that the dissatisfaction may have been fanned
just a little by people who really wanted us to crave to get our hands on OS
X and ditch OS 9 -- no one would do that, would they? But I will say that
while I was being told that OS 9 couldn't be left running for very long
using just sleep mode at night and to travel, I was leaving my Pismo to run
without switching off for days, even weeks, without it falling over. This
at a time when app-freeze meant OS freeze. Yes it occasionally fell over,
but nothing like as often as I was told it "ought" to be doing. Oh yeah,
and I hadn't yet maxed my RAM.

So while I accept that OS 9 was cranky for some people, especially those
running things like PhotoShop and similar apps, I feel pretty sure that for
less demanding work than heavy graphics processing and the like, 9.2.2 is
worth considering.

Just my 2 cents (and yes, I know the current exchange rate!)

Shalom.
Christian

łAny sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from a Newton.˛
            -- what Arthur C. Clarke meant

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1ZzpdPJ7Zr4
(With thanks to Chod Lang)
http://tinyurl.com/29y2dl