Re: [NTLK] OT - PowerBook OS Level to be a Newt Accessory?

From: Jon Glass <jonglass_at_usa.net>
Date: Wed Jun 04 2008 - 17:34:50 EDT

On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 11:11 PM, Steve <steve@craftsathome.net> wrote:
> Interesting. I was under the impression that 7.6.1 would be "better" because
> that was the era that the Newt was in, so connectivity tools, development
> environments, etc would be more compatible. Plus I thought it might be a
> little faster. So I might as well stick with OS 9 then.

The general rule of thumb with Macs is to never use an OS older than
what the model shipped with. Typically, there are "enablers" that all
for certain functionality that was unique to that model. With laptops,
you are especially vulnerable.

So, I would find what OS shipped with that computer, and try to find
it on eBay or somewhere else.

If you stick, however, with 9, try to get 9.0.4 on it. It's probably
the most stable version of OS 9. ;-)

Also, backing up your install is _really_ easy. If it fits, burn it to
a CD, otherwise, just copy the system folder to an external hard
drive. Reinstall is a simply copy back. Gotta love that old Classic
system. ;-)

--
 -Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland