[NTLK] Web surfing on OS 1.3

From: RedJazz <redjazz_slo_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun Jun 01 2008 - 11:43:17 EDT

First of all, I'd like to thank Frank Gruendel for helping me revive my MP120. Thank you Frank, your site is absolutely fantastic.
Now, I've downloaded the NewtonWWW web browser from UNNA (that works on OS 1.x), but I don't know how to configure it to connect to a dial-up ISP. The readme file says:

&lt;...&gt;
1.2.2.3/4.: modem-modes
The data goes over telephone-wires. Connect the modem to the newton and
type in all information it needs into the preferences file. It works the
following way:
 The Login-"Script" checks the incoming text if it can find the '1. ID'.
If so, it sends
the word typed behind the '1.' (and a &lt;RETURN&gt;). Then it checks
the text again with the '2. ID' and if it has success it types the word
behind '2.' (and a &lt;RETURN&gt;), and so on...
You can use four steps to connect to your host and login. Be aware that
your password is saved in the newton. After using the program change it
into another word.
In very ID you need at least one character.
If you dont need any more IDs, set to your cursor, and just don't type in
anything in the text fields below. So the newton sends a few returns
in your unix-window and nothing important happens...
(We had a bit of a problem with that, so if it doesn't work, change the ID-texts
(if possible...)).

Example:
The settings are:
Number: 0721-123456
1. Id: login:
1.: ira
2. Id: connect to:
2.: freedy
3. Id: :
3.: guest
4. Id: password:
4.: guest

Make sure that your cursor contains a '&gt;' somewhere...
If you use modem(d) the modem dials only once and hangs up the line
when you change the connection mode or when you quit the program.
&lt;...&gt;

Does anyone know how to make it work?

M. Horvat