[NTLK] Newton-friendly ISP? (Market Survey)

From: Morgan Aldridge <morgant_at_makkintosshu.com>
Date: Tue Jul 22 2008 - 08:22:46 EDT

With all this discussion about email and shell access I might as well
admit that I have had another project queued up after the UNNA
upgrades: a small ISP providing fairly open email, chat, and shell
access (plus a few features pending after initial release). Of course,
there's still a whole lot of discussion about security, but the
service would be intended mostly for those like us that have older
hardware and just want to get online somehow.

So, here's a little market survey that's I'd love if people would fill
(reply off-list, please):

Would you...
1) Sign up for a new ISP if it offered Newton-compatible services
(specifically email, chat, and shell)?
2) Use said ISP from other (esp. more current) devices if it offered
methods of connecting securely?
3) Feel comfortable using said ISP that could be accessed both
insecurely and securely?
4) Use said ISP if they required frequent password changes to help
prevent account hijacking?
5) Use said ISP if you were given a new email address? What if you
could host your own domain for email?
6) Feel more secure or find any benefit in that email address also
being an OpenID?
7) Use web-based access to services such as email, chat, and shell in
addition to via the shell and/or POP/IMAP/SMTP/Jabber protocols?
8) Use dial-up access numbers offered by said ISP to get online or
access a shell?
9) Pay a reasonable annual fee to use the services offered by said
ISP? If so, how much?
10) Pay a reasonable monthly fee to use the services offered by said
ISP? If so, how much?
11) Only pay for additional services such as dial-up access and other
extra features? If so, how much?
12) Have any friends or associates that might use such an ISP? Do you
think they'd pay for such services?

If you need assistance on the "would you pay" questions, maybe it'd be
easier to just choose a range you'd be most comfortable with?:

- How much would you pay annually? $10-$25? $25-$40? $40-$55? $55-$70?
$70-$85? $85-$100?
- How much would you pay monthly? $1-$5? $5-$10? $10-$15? $15-$20? $20-$25?
- How much would you pay for extra services (monthly)? $1-$5? $5-$10?
$10-$15? $15-$20? $20-$25?

Thanks,

Morgan Aldridge

---