[NTLK] ATA Support was: newbie emate questions

From: R A Parker <QuadzillaNET_at_SBCGlobal.NET>
Date: Fri Jul 11 2008 - 03:00:00 EDT

On Thursday, July 10, 2008 at 7:41 pm Woody Smith wrote:

> I don't think that these resets are
> to be expected.

Yes... Agreed

This symptom only showed up after recent installation of ATA support and
only shows itself when using ATA support.

> Unfortunately the
> eMate will report pressing
> of the power button as a
> loss of power and
> I think other system resets
> are reported as loss of power

This is definitely specific and a highly predictable error.

Put the lid down or hit power switch or allow the Newton (or eMate) to go
to sleep... When you wake it up, its a cold boot... nearly every time. The
Newton does a full boot and tells you the power was interrupted.

> Try freezing the ATA driver
> and see if it works better.

uh... yep, all better now ;-)

I also suspect that we will have to always keep ATA Support in perspective.
Slower, massive, off line, storage.

Your suggestion to freeze (and I will add everything) on the CF Card is
probably a good one. Helping to reduce Heap demand with the tons of off
line books and apps.

I'm next wondering if there is a more compatible combination of hardware
adapters that will be better / safer over time. Already I'm having lock ups
with what appears to be corrupted pkg's loaded on my ATA cards.

My testing setup is a PCMCIA to CF Adapter w/256MB SanDisk CF card. I'm
also testing the a PCMCIA to CFII to Secure Digital (SD) adapters w/256MB
SD Card.

Ron

--
Sent with GoFetch and a Wireless MessagePad 2100.
--
       |\ |  @ TahoeSunsets.COM