[NTLK] [OT] Re: Lombard/Pismo batteries [WAS: "Re: Legacy Software"]

From: Martin Joseph <NT_at_stillnewt.org>
Date: Thu Jul 10 2008 - 12:41:07 EDT

On Jul 10, 2008, at 2:29 AM, Lord Groundhog wrote:

> ~~~ On 2008/07/10 09:54, Kate Case at kate.case@gmail.com wrote ~~~
>
>> Customs charge is nothing to do with the retailer, so you can't blame
>> them for that.
>>

> You're right about that Kate. My uncle sent a walking stick he'd
> carved for
> my birthday, to me here in the UK. Costing me nothing and clearly
> marked as
> a gift, the British government nevertheless decided that it needed
> to be
> taxed with hefty import duties. I was told I either could pay, or I
> couldn't have it.
>
> I swear these vultures would tax the spit in my mouth if I didn't
> swallow it
> too fast for them to measure it.

Petty bureaucrats are the same the world over apparently...

I have never tried a rebate deal with Other World, so I cannot
comment on that. Usually rebates are manufacturers offers though
aren't they?

I have bought 10's of thousand of dollars (us) worth of parts for
macs and the only issue I ever had was with a laptop battery that
died 1 month out of warranty, which wasn't really OWCs fault. Still
it was galling as these things aren't cheap.

Marty