Re: [NTLK] Pissed Off Emate

From: <knowtree_at_aloha.com>
Date: Tue Jul 08 2008 - 15:51:36 EDT

Thanks for all the help and advice so far!

Results from last night's inspection:

1. Tested A/C adapter, a.k.a. brick, using my MP2100. 7.38V while trickle
charging.

2. Connected A/C adapter to eMate. Using a Fluke meter, read 7.37V at
connection on bottom of eMate. The eMate power light is green.

3. Removed the batter cover and battery. Cannot read batter voltage without
making some sort of harness. Batter connector has five pins, four used. I
arbitrarily numbered them as follows:

Red 1
White 2
White 3
NC
Black 5

With A/C adaptor connected and battery removed I read the following pairs:

1-2 reading goes down as if charging a capacitor
1-3 0.949V
1-5 0.949V
2-3 reading goes down
2-5 0.024V
3-5 0.0V

I'm guessing one pair is power and the other the charge monitor. I was
expecting to see 7.37 or so between at least one pair. Maybe that won't
happen without the battery plugged in and the monitor circuit working? Any
other places on the mobo to check, besides those two big circular contacts?

I wiped everything exposed with a damp towel using one part vinegar to
three parts water. There was some sticky residue, and it does smell a
little like cat urine. Mt cat's blood sugar was so high she was drinking
much more water than normal, so I think the concentration of the smelly
stuff was low. It cleaned up rather well.

I had to stop when it came to unsoldering wires. I don't own a decent
soldering iron -- now I have an excuse to buy one :-)

Any comments on those voltage readings?

Gary Dunn
Honolulu
Open Slate Project
    http://openslate.net/
73 BMW E9 (3.0 CS) 2213583 (rust repair research project)
    http://e9erust.blogspot.com/