Re: [NTLK] No New Newt, epaper witn pen

From: Gary Dunn <knowtree_at_aloha.com>
Date: Tue Jan 29 2008 - 18:19:01 EST

-

>>> but why? I type much faster--and yes, on the QUERTY keyboard--than I
>>> write by hand. Typing with even the most ineffecient keyboard layout
>>> is faster than writing by hand. And it takes little effort to
>>
>> try keeping up with shorthand. I care no how fast you can type you
>> will
>> be left in the dust. If you don't like to write it then you can learn
>> like the court stenographers. they'll also leave you in the dust.
>>
>> A keyboard is fast because you've never tried to do something else.
>
> Soooooo..... you're arguing that we should all learn shorthand in
> order that we may do things faster with e-paper than we do with
> keyboards? That would take a lot of relearning. It's bad enough
> training one's self to write so that HWR systems can read one's
> handwriting.
>
> Also: where's the software that's going to translate shorthand
> gestures to actual text? We'll need that before I can write an email
> with shorthand.
>
> And court stenographers use ... a keyboard. Granted it's not QWERTY,
> but it sure isn't like e-paper with a pen.
>
> In the meantime, the earlier question is cogent. Why should computers
> be more like e-paper with a pen, when nearly everyone can type much
> more quickly with a keyboard?

When I pitch my Open Slate Project I point out that there are many ways to take notes and write messages other than typed text. In fields like music, math, and chemistry, typed text cannot begin to convey what can be scrawled on a chalkboard. Even where text is the medium, doodles and highlights do much to illuminate.

A QWERTY keyboard is only fast to those who worked hard to overcome its limitations. Chording keyboards are potentially faster and more reliable. The Open Slate reference design incorporates a chording keyboard built into the underside along both left and right sides of the slate.

In a related post Jon Glass describes a small but complete PC with a rich assortment of peripherals. That is exactly what Open Slate is about. And we are always looking for volunteers!

--
Gary Dunn, Honolulu
knowtree@aloha.com