Re: [NTLK] RES: Sometimes its the small things

From: Jon Glass <jonglass_at_usa.net>
Date: Fri Jan 18 2008 - 09:49:46 EST

On Jan 18, 2008 1:11 PM, robinson <gaudo@terra.com.br> wrote:
> I think should be great an app that put some easy buttons on button bar for
> BACKSPACE, DOT, COLON, SEMICOLON, to make easy the writing. Normally you
> have to click the caret to show these.
> Anyone knows some app like that?

Don't need an app. Apple built this capability into the system! I use
the Shortcuts feature to write them. For all my shortcuts, I use a
forward slash "/" and then write the letter that closest represents
the character. So my shortcuts look like this /p is period, /c is
comma, /co-colon, /sc-semicolon, /sp space, /r-return, and a few more.
You find the shortcuts in the onscreen keyboard. BTW, I found that
writing the slash bottom to top (left-to-right_ works better than top
down.

These are the shortcuts I made, you can do yours anyway you want. The
easiest way to access them is to go to Notes, tap the keyboard, then
tap the little open book icon in the bottom left. When you do so, you
will probably be given a list of recent words to add to the
dictionary. Simply hit the close X to get rid of that. :-)

Next, write the shortcut you want to use (for example /p for the
period), and then tap on the "Expand" button. Next, write the period,
and tap "Add." And it's added. Rinse and repeat as necessary.

BTW, I opened up my expansions dictionary, and saw a couple more
interesting ones, /t is tab, /q is quotation marks.

I certainly hope all this blather helped.

--
 -Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland