Re: [NTLK] No New Newt

From: Greg Hankins <ghankins_at_mac.com>
Date: Wed Jan 16 2008 - 09:54:12 EST

Hi All.
I had wondered about the speed factor with solid state drives, having
encountered them when looking for a new drive for my daughters
Powerbook G4. She needed the video and photo storage, so we went for
the 250GB Western Digital instead. But, if the solid state drives are
really that much faster (which makes sense to me) I'll definitely be
interested when I upgrade the HD in this iBook G4 I am typing on.

I do like the idea of a much lighter laptop, though I would likely
wait for future iterations of the AIR before making the plunge. Most
of what is left out of the configuration would not bother me. I use
wireless at home, office, and on the road, so I would not miss the
ethernet. I tend to buy firewire drives rather than USB, so I would
miss the firewire. On the other hand, I reckon Apple is pointing us
toward wireless back up with the new Time Capsule.

Price point seems kind of high, but that's pretty typical of new
Apple products, I think. It will be interesting to watch the sales
and future iterations of the product.

Cheers!

Greg
Greg Hankins