[NTLK] Question on ANPR/Calligrapher and NOS 2.0/2.1

From: James Fraser <wheresthatistanbul-newtontalk_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri Feb 29 2008 - 03:20:43 EST

Hello,

I was reading a paper written by Avi Drissman and I
saw the following:

>The Apple-Newton Print Recognizer (ANPR) was
>introduced in the release of the Newton OS 2.0 along
>with the 2.1 version of CalliGrapher.

Does this mean that there are differences in both
cursive recognition (handled by Calligrapher) *and*
print recognition (handled by ANPR) between NOS 2.0
and 2.1? I ask this because Larry Yaeger said:

>Larry: "Thanks (to those who have said nice things
>about the Print Recognizer). It's been nice to see
the >positive response to the print recognizer in 2.0
and >2.1.

Which makes it sound like the print recognizer *might*
have undergone a change between NOS 2.0 and 2.1. The
way that bit is worded makes it hard to tell if they
actually changed it or simply rolled over the exact
same ANPR from NOS 2.0 into 2.1.

I understand that NOS 2.1 has an enhanced feature set
compared to 2.0, but I wasn't sure if an improvement
in printing/cursive handwriting recognition was part
of the feature enhancements.

Does anyone have a definitive answer for this?

Best,

James Fraser