Re: [NTLK] Help for an original MessagePad customer!

From: James Fraser <wheresthatistanbul-newtontalk_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri Feb 22 2008 - 03:21:29 EST

Hello,

--- Matt Domenici <matt@domenici.com> wrote:

> I hoping that possibly a power adapter may rescue it
> from what I hope is a power fault. Does anyone know
> where I can get one?

You can try a "WTB" ("Want To Buy") post to the list.
You can also try using the search terms "newton +
adapter" on eBay to turn up a couple (the usual eBay
caveats apply). The NewtonTalk list is prolly your
best bet, though.

The Newton FAQ section on AC adapters is worth a look
so you know what you're getting into:

http://www.chuma.org/newton/faq/newton-faq-hardware.html#IIB7

>(Or any ideas on bringing it back to life?)

Give these suggestions:

http://www.chuma.org/newton/faq/newton-faq-hardware.html#IIC6a

...a shot, first. According to the Newton FAQ, there
*may* be a problem with the power switch:

>Old MessagePads (in particular, MP100s) develop
>power-on problems due to gunk building up inside the
>power switch which raises its resistance.

...but try the steps outlined at the above link to
help narrow things down, first. If it still doesn't
turn on, post back to the list and let us know what
you've tried so far.

HTH,

James Fraser