Re: [NTLK] Carrying a 2100: holster

From: James Fraser <wheresthatistanbul-newtontalk_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue Feb 19 2008 - 08:00:29 EST

Hello,

--- Brett Feinblatt <bafein@mac.com> wrote:

> On Feb 18, 2008, at 12:27 PM,
> newtontalk@newtontalk.net wrote:
>
>>> Do you have a brand name for the case you
>>>described to help us track it down?

>> It's brandless--made in China. I believe that J&K
>> used to sell it.
>
> That could explain the lack of logo. Too bad, if
> they've stopped - the Star Trek version seems the
>best type I've seen.

I don't know if the people flogging the holster at the
below link are the same "J&K" folks referred to above,
but I think I may have found the one you're referring
to:

http://tinyurl.com/2lu5lc

The initial asking price doesn't seem too bad.
However, it's only fair to say that anyone
contemplating a purchase should be aware of the
shipping charges involved (which are rather
substantial, IMHO).

Personally, I'd prefer to carry an MP 2x00 in a
horizontal (rather than a vertical) orientation for
easier access. Which made me pretty excited when I
saw what these folks had to offer:

http://tinyurl.com/39y2zq

Sadly, none of the pouch sizes they offer *quite* seem
to fit a 2x00, although the Wallet/passport/small gun
pouch (with dimensions given as 5" Wide x 6" High x
1/2" Deep) appears to come close.

I did ask if they do custom-sized pouches and the
answer that came back was "Nope, just what you see
offered."

At any rate, you still *might* be able to construct a
Newton shoulder holster rig from what they offer.
Judging from the photo, it looks like the loops that
join the pouch to the "shoulder" part of the rig are
attached to the back of the pouch.

Which means that you might be able to simply cut off
the front/sides of the existing pouch, then sew the
remaining backing onto the back of a Newton holster of
your choice.

It's an idea, anyway. [shrugs] Although for $35 +
shipping, you could prolly get a local seamstress to
build something similiar with your own choice of
materials. It says they use Cordura in the holster
above, but I'm guessing it's not ballistic Cordura.
IIRC, Cordura ballistic nylon would offer even greater
durability, albeit at the cost of some extra weight.

Any fabric experts out there? I'm curious as to what
they would deem the lightest yet most durable fabric
for a Newton holster.

Best,

James Fraser