Re: [NTLK] Wi-Fi help needed

From: Martin Joseph <NT_at_stillnewt.org>
Date: Wed Feb 06 2008 - 01:10:58 EST

On Feb 5, 2008, at 9:53 AM, Sonny Hung wrote:

> On Feb 5, 2008 9:27 AM, Morgan Aldridge <morgant@makkintosshu.com>
> wrote:
>> BTW - I'm using a Buffalo (in the USA; a.k.a. Melco elsewhere)
>> WLI-PCM-L11GP which supports 802.11b w/128-bit WEP encryption (not
>> that that's worth much these days). It's only a recently discontinued
>> product, so may be easier to find than a WaveLAN Gold card and should
>> be a little less power hungry.
>>

> Does anyone know if the WLI-PCM-L11 version of the Buffalo PC Card is
> definitely compatible???
> I've seen a few on eBay from this seller: *http://tinyurl.com/2gyvcd
> **
> *
> http://cgi.ebay.com/Buffalo-rebadged-Orinoco-Wireless-WIFI-PC-
> PCMCIA-
> Card_W0QQitemZ110193341705QQihZ001QQcategoryZ45000QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZW
> D1VQQtrksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQcmdZViewItem
>
> They are only $19.97 plus $3.50 shipping in the US
> Man if I were in the marker for one I'd consider this IF I was sure
> this
> would work...
> Not connect with seller just thought this was a great BUY!
>
> Ad states: The hardware is identical to an Orinoco classic gold card

That seems very promising, especially the bit about Orinoco classic
gold. I think Buffalo is a company that has been known to changes
the chipsets in it's wifi cards without making material changes to
the model #'s so everyone should beware of assuming because the
models number match it's the same card.

Also, I guess MoreWIFI is needed for these?

Marty