Re: [NTLK] Wi-Fi help needed

From: Michael S. Zimmer <mike_at_michaelszimmer.com>
Date: Mon Feb 04 2008 - 15:12:50 EST

Dear Marty,

Thanks for the info!

I use WEP encryption on my ISP access and email because that's what
worked with my Palm TX.

I run my own small business and can configure what I need within
reason, so I will try to find the Lucent Gold card and give that a
whirl.

Sincerely,

Mike

On Feb 4, 2008, at 2:03 PM, Martin Joseph wrote:

> On Feb 4, 2008, at 10:41 AM, Michael S. Zimmer wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Maybe I should have listed my question like this!
>>
>> 1. Can someone point me in the right direction to find out which
>> 802.11b PC card to obtain and how to configure the beast so that I
>> can
>> at least send and receive email wirelessly? This way I can justify
>> fooling around with the Newt at work!
>
> You should probably start by researching the shortcomings of Newtons
> mail and wireless setup and making sure those aren't deal breakers
> for you.
>
> For example:
>
> 1) Wifi is WEP only, and the wavelan gold is needed for 128 bit, or
> Silver is needed for 64 bit WEP. If your companies WIFI is WPA your
> are out of luck.
> 2) The Newton doesn't support SSL or any other encryption method for
> concealing your mail password/contents.
>
> Those are the two biggest issues that come to mind for me. If you
> can deal with those, you might be ok.
>
> Hope this helps,
> marty
>
> PS when buying a wireless card it's good if you can find the older
> "Lucent" wavelan gold card, since there is a newer "Orinoco" gold
> card that uses totally different chipset and doesn't work with the
> Newton driver.

Michael S. Zimmer
mike@michaelszimmer.com

Michael S. Zimmer