[NTLK] Comments on Using the Newton

From: Ryan Vetter <physicalconstants_at_yahoo.ca>
Date: Sun Feb 03 2008 - 18:01:34 EST

I got my Newton 2000 a few months ago, upgraded to a
2100. It was new in the box, never used. I love it.
I am trying to integrate into my life. I have just
started using it to schedule appointments and for
dictionary purposes while researching. I like it
better than the iPhone in some ways, because it is
easier to input information into it and it is more
powerful in this way.

Here is a bit of a annoyance I have though. I am
trying to install software on it, and many titles from
the UNNA folder require pass codes. Unfortunately,
these titles are useless unless you can get these
codes. But many of the software makers are longer
supporting these titles, so I am in a bit of hard
place. Then I saw someone post that they would sell
MoreInfo for $40. Sorry, but that is just way too
much for a piece of Newton software. I think I need
to learn how to program on the Newton and just make
this stuff myself.

Then there was the ATA saga. I emailed the maker Paul
about getting a full version, because my 4 GB CF card
works with the demo, but no response. I could just
imagine how people feel about the lack of support for
those who paid for it. Greg on the list here was nice
enough to help me out, but the pass code I received
from him would not work with my Newton, even though I
changed the name of my Newton to his name. I think
there is a hardware identifier in Paul's ATA driver
and since mine is somehow different than Greg's, it
won't let me use the same pass code as Greg's.

Other than that, does anyone have any suggestions on
dealing with all these pass code protected installers?

http://www.flickr.com/gift/