Re: [NTLK] Top Ten Newt Software List?

From: Matt Howe <matthowe_at_comcast.net>
Date: Sat Feb 02 2008 - 11:48:51 EST

I am a software developer and convert databases from whatever our client was
using to our database format. I use my Newton (a 2000 upgraded to a 2100) to
track contacts and projects plus a number of conversion resources like ASCII
table. But I also use my Newton in day to day life. It is my portable
computer. I couldn't make a top ten list but I did make a top twelve list. I
have a lot more in my Newton (a 20 meg card and an 8 meg card) but these are
the things I use everyday. In no particular order:

Newtscape - Web browser. I have a small web server set up and I load all of
my packages via Newtscape

Newtonworks - Word processor

Quick figure works - Spreadsheet program

BBedit - Helper app for editing text and numbers. Sets in the button bar

Geeksafe - I keep all of my on line banking, credit cards, online accounts
and passwords in here. I know you say that is dangerous. But if I loose my
Newton, credit cards are the least of my worries. They all have 800 numbers.

The Message - the Bible. For when I have spare time I always have a Bible to
read.

Card Eject - A must for removing cards. Because I use two memory cards, one
must be removed before I can put a modem or network card in.

I++ - The ultimate (in my opinion) Newton control software. Allows you to
make all "I" buttons into a application menu.

Address Access - A better way to access the names in your Newton

Time Trax - A better way to track dates, appointments and To-Do's.

Hilight 2000 - The best utility for copying, cutting and pasting data.

SimpleMail - The best app for Email if you use pop3. I know Mail V can do
pop3 but I can't figure out what it has over SimpleMail to make it worth the
larger memory footprint.

I also have my Newton setup for Ethernet and Wifi.

Matt (Ducky) Howe
Owner of a MP2000U and an Emate
mhowe@gfn.org (Newton)
matthowe@comcast.net (Desktop)