Re: [NTLK] Fix2010 code release

From: Andrei Chichak <newton_at_chichak.ca>
Date: Wed Dec 31 2008 - 21:16:11 EST

>I say that if it weren't for the FOSS community, we wouldn't have an
>internet.

You could say that, but you wouldn't be correct. We tin hat toroid
winders were emailing, shooting pictures hither and yon, chatting,
and starting flame wars 25 years ago. While the FOSS community is
great, the internet was brought to us by the department of defense.
Like space tourism, trans-continental air travel, and the computer
that you are sitting at, the internet is an offshoot of war.

If microsoft didn't raise to prominence, I figure that we would be
about 20 years ahead of where we are today. A lot of software
development technology that was being used in the mid 80s is just
reemerging today thanks to projects like Eclipse and GNU.

One day soon, I hope, the grammar checkers of the 90s will reappear.