Re: [NTLK] Email and the Newton

From: Matt Howe <matthowe_at_comcast.net>
Date: Fri Dec 05 2008 - 23:37:19 EST

Until just recently I used SimpleMail. It has a smaller memory requirement
than MailV and it doesn't have the memory leak some people have reported in
MailV. It worked well for me when using the local free net. But times have
changed. My children bought me a Nokia Internet Tablet for my birthday. So
now all of my internet applications are through my Nokia and my PIM, Ebooks,
notepad, Bible, Skymap, GPS tracking, secret codes, etc. are all in my
Newton. A match made in heaven. I know it is an extra device but once I
dropped the network cards and extra battery (needed because network cards,
ethernet or wifi, suck a lot of juice.) from my kit I had room to slide in
the little Nokia. But if you want to do Email on a Newton, and it works well
except for the encryption aspect, I recommend SimpleMail.

Matt (Ducky) Howe
Owner of a MP2000U and an Emate
SantaMatt@Gmail.com (Nokia N770)
matthowe@comcast.net (Desktop)
http://home.comcast.net/~mhowe41/

Ryan Vetter wrote:
<snip>
I know this has been done over and over... best way to do Email on the
Newton.

I got to thinking, why not just log in in a browser on the Newt, and forget
the Email programs all together?

The major problems I see with using Email apps on the Newton are:

Not enough space to store messages (in this day and age particularly)
No SSL support for POP/IMAP, so secure connections are not possible, which
cancels out many popular email providers

If one is to do Email, MailV is the way to go...

Am I correct in these points? Any other tips should I try Email on the
Newt? Anyone like Enroute? Anyone use Mobile Me email addresses?
<snip>