Re: [NTLK] Deciding between wireless or ethernet card with dongle

From: Tony Kan <tonykan_at_xtra.co.nz>
Date: Tue Dec 02 2008 - 06:58:14 EST

Just of the top of my head but someone could chime in with more...

Wireless Pros:
* Less risk of interconnect port damage
* Download speeds from web sites are lightning mcqueen fast;
* Setting up a personal web server allows own pkgs to be downloaded quickly
* Lots of pda friendly sites out there
* Lots of fun doing wireless emailing especially signing off with "sent from an
Apple Newton 2100" in the signature
* Once initial set up complete, more reliable than a serial connection
* No need to buy dongle or cable
* No need to buy USB adapter

Wireless Cons:
* need more kit so more shopping: keep to Netgear and Linksys and should be
fine; I use Netgear AP and Orinoco Gold PCMCIA card
* just some fiddling about with initial set up of access point/wireless router;
most of my problems came down to learning how to use the firewall software
properly to let the Newton connect.
* Need to read up on Wifi configuration jargon (eg Ad Hoc mode v Infrastructure
Mode etc)

Serial Pros:
* Less expensive
* Less kit to buy; especially for Windows users with PCs with extant serial
ports
* Easier to configure
* NCU supports serial connections and allows documents to be uploaded to desktop
* NCU supports synchronisation with Outlook 9x/2k or Lotus Organizer 2.1 for
Windows 9x & 2k users

Serial Cons:
* For windows users, longer downloads (>200kb) are unreliable and stop with
error message midstride
* Risk of damaging interconnect port on newton due to cantilever forces
* At least 100 times slower than Wireless

I would recommend wireless, its worth the effort

Cheers

Tony