Re: [NTLK] Breathing new life into my 2100

From: Børre Ludvigsen <b_at_hiof.no>
Date: Mon Dec 01 2008 - 08:00:26 EST

Was my original message stripped because it had a couple of spaces of
left margin? Here is another try:

My Nokia 9300 and then 9500 are nice, they can run an ssh client. My
12" Powerbook is nicer, but bigger. The iPhone is also nice, but not
having a foldable - referably Bluetooth keyboard - to type with,
albeit with lack of cut-and-paste, makes it less nice. My MP 2100s
are the nicest, but but increasingly out of contect with the
world. I now use them mostly as very good sketchbooks running
NewtPaint and moving the drawings with NCX.

I suppose we shall never see an SSH client for the Newton OS, nor
enough Java to make rudimentary web work possible, but what would
really breath new life in my Message Pads is some way of interacting
with the iPhone. Using the iPhone as an Edge modem and allowing for
example PT100 to access the BSD system on the iPhone. Tethering the
2100 to the iPhone by cable would be nice with a simple cable, but
tethering over WiFi might even be possible. With a telnet daemon on
the iPhone, it might even work. Has anyone tried?

- Børre