Re: [NTLK] ATA Linear flash speed

From: Ryan Vetter <physicalconstants_at_yahoo.ca>
Date: Sun Aug 24 2008 - 19:04:29 EDT

Ok... I am glad you posted your brand of CF Ron.  Ridata gets fairly good reviews, although a tad cheap.
What I have found interesting is that, cards that are advertised as faster, or even ones that are slightly slower than the Extreme III, get blown away by the Extreme III in testing.  For example, here is the result of a standard read/write test from a PowerBook G4 using a CF card reader:

Transcend 120x 4 GB:

write: 38.6

read: 27.9

Sandisk Extreme III 2 GB (133x)

write: 24.2

read: 21.7

What this tells me is that either the Transcend, like other cards I am sure, are being misadvertised and are really, in this case, much slower than 120x, or simply that the Extreme III is a much faster card due to ESP and other tech in the card.

Like I said, I got the 1 GB Extreme III for $20 on sale.  Can't go wrong.  If anybody wants one, let me know, we can work something out.