Re: [NTLK] Lucent Wireless Bronze is not recognized

From: Sonny Hung <sonnyhung_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri Aug 22 2008 - 21:52:07 EDT

On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 9:31 PM, John Broughton <jdbroughton@yahoo.com>wrote:
> The Dell Truemobile card I'm using in my 2100 is labeled on the back
> "Lucent Technologies"

Yeah at Paul site it's listed as:
Dell TrueMobile (OEMed Lucent WaveLAN/IEEE) Hermes 1 No ? ? Works (Hiroshi
Noguchi <http://www.ff.iij4u.or.jp/%7Engc/eng/newtwave.htm>)IIRC the model
number from Dell was 1150 or something similar.

I tested the Compaq OEM version and all Paul had to do was add it to
MoreWiFi for it to work. Both of these are the GOLD WaveLAN PC Card.
Compaq WL110 Hermes auto No ? ? Works (Sonny Hung)

> the ones checked are 5V and 16 (presumably for 16 bit).

Yeah these are all 16Bit cards and 5V - Yes any GOLD based OEM card will be
able to do 128bit WEP and the SILVER as some have mentioned can be modified
to a GOLD.
As CardBus became the new standard so these manufacturers evolved the card
from 16bit to 32bit CardBus - unfortunately resellers on eBay an elsewhere
are not aware of the significance to a Newton user and unless asked you may
get a card that will definitely not work.
There are so many variations of the OEM card. My favorite version is the
SONY Vaio version due to the size which is similar to the Airport Original
Card. The one thing we never had was a complete listed of verified cards
that worked. Though the listed located at Paul's site is as close as it can
get.

--
God bless,
Sonny Hung