Re: [NTLK] ATA Linear flash speed

From: Ryan Vetter <physicalconstants_at_yahoo.ca>
Date: Mon Aug 18 2008 - 20:15:47 EDT

Someone else please go and buy the Extreme III or IV card: Paul's driver is now wide open what are you waiting for?  On that note, can someone suggest how I could test the speed objectively?
I have Works and other applications stored on my card.  Opening applications, saving them, installing them to the card, etc. all fast.  From my limited knowledge, and from what I have read, the SanDisk Extreme cards reduce bottlenecks, take stress off of the processor and can do high speed sequential read and write, something many cards cannot do.  If we use the analogy of photographers, they notice huge speed differences when scrubbing their photos and after they have taken a shot when comparing the Extreme III or V card to other ATA cards.  Digital cameras I think do not have anything 'special' in them: it is simply the faster, more advanced cards that make the difference.

Here is a review on the Extreme III:

http://www.mobiletechreview.com/tips/sandisk-extreme-III-SD-card.htm