Re: [NTLK] ATA Linear flash speed

From: James Wages <james_at_kiramek.com>
Date: Mon Aug 18 2008 - 17:43:32 EDT

In the absence of replies over the past 24 hours in this thread, I will
assume that only 1 person among us (however large a community Newton users
may be at this time) has even used an Extreme III ATA CF with ATA Support in
the Newton? Statistically speaking, I doubt that is so. There must be
others out there and I personally would love to hear from you.

I am a man of specifics. The report on the Extreme III mentions the lack of
any kind of "slow down" but it doesn't directly compare internal RAM speed
with the Extreme III. I've also never read about any ATA being as fast as
internal RAM or Linear cards, so I eagerly await some additional details on
this point.

Really, has no one tried fast cards with ATA Support??

And again, are there any hardware limitations of the Newton that would
prevent one from taking full advantage of wicked fast cards like the Extreme
III or IV, which boast read/write speeds of 45Mb/sec? (I always thought
there needed to be hardware support to attain those speeds.)

Thanks,

James Wages