[NTLK] Thread protocol [WAS: "Re: How do you use your Newton?"]

From: Lord Groundhog <LordGroundhog_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun Aug 17 2008 - 17:15:22 EDT

~~~ On 2008/08/17 20:38, Jon Glass at jonglass@usa.net wrote ~~~

> On Sun, Aug 17, 2008 at 7:41 PM, Doug Denby <ddenby@rogers.com> wrote:
>> Impossible. There are no original Hebrew, Aramaic or Greek texts. They
>> are all copies of, copies of, copies of, ... original texts. And much
>> of the provenance is suspect. And that is before translation.
>
> By your standard. there are no writings by Homer, Cicero, or any of
> the ancients. There are only a tiny handful of _copies_ of their texts
> extant today. There are thousands upon thousands of copies of the NT,
> ... etc., etc., etc.

Let me apologize in advance: I know I'm not ListMom or Mod or whatever
they're called here but I'm inclined to say this anyway.

PLEASE could this argument -- if it really has to be held in NewtonTalk (and
I'm really not at all sure it does) -- at least be held under a different
Subject heading? As any of us who've been on any list for longer than a
month will know, arguments over politics or religion get tired really fast,
although seldom fast enough to avoid unpleasant, or to keep the thread
intact.

I won't claim to be innocent of never going [OT]: everyone who knows me
knows better. But I'd hate to see this end up like the last spat of its
kind I watched on another list.

As for the subject of the argument itself, unless someone here is fluent in
ancient Hebrew, Western Aramaic, Septuagint and Koine Greek, and several
other ancient languages, and is also qualified in the critical study of the
history of ancient manuscripts and textual transmission, it's all going to
be opinions based on second-hand knowledge anyway. In a topic like this
that's going to produce heat without light.

</Rant=OFF>

If anyone is really upset with me now that you've read this, feel free to
throw something at me -- your MP2x00s would be particularly welcomed. :)

Shalom.
Christian

łAny sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from a Newton.˛
            -- what Arthur C. Clarke meant

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1ZzpdPJ7Zr4
(With thanks to Chod Lang)
http://tinyurl.com/29y2dl