Re: [NTLK] PC vs. Mac Newton BACKUP File Compatibility

From: James Wages <james_at_kiramek.com>
Date: Sat Aug 16 2008 - 20:09:05 EDT

Well, itıs clear most of you are busy typing away at your ³How do use your
Newton?² novels, so I searched for an answer to my previous question. While
definitely not a 100% conclusive statement on this subject, this past
NewtonTalk post indicates Windows and Mac backup files, even when done via
NCU, are not the same format:

http://marc.info/?l=newtontalk&m=107090455203605&w=2

PCBman was kind enough to convert the backup format to NCX for me. However,
when I select Clarity and try to Restore via NCX, I get an error that states
NCX cannot restore to the original PCMCIA card! Of course not! PCBman
extracted the data from my now-defunct PCMCIA 32MB Linear card and make the
NCX backup for me. I now wish to Restore that data from the backup to any
destination I choose (internal memory or another flash card). But I am not
offered that choice!!!

Is this a limitation of NCX? A bug? How can I pick a ³destination² when I
Restore?

Thank you,

James Wages