Re: [NTLK] Connecting my Newton-Questions!

From: Sonny Hung <sonnyhung_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue Aug 12 2008 - 12:45:38 EDT

On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 12:25 PM, Steve <steve@craftsathome.net> wrote:
> It is true that only Windows PCs have to use the "slowdown technique",
> right? Not Macs.

Greetings Steve,

Only Windows PCs that are faster than the vintage models that came out when
the Newton was out need it.
I say this so that in case you have an older PC such as a 266mHz there
abouts PC it should work without the use of SlowDown :)
In addition it will be needed also depending on what services you have
running in the back ground. I had on occasion where I ran stuff on my newer
PC (1.6 gHz) which caused me not to have to run SlowDown. But I'd rather not
have to use a PC that slow for regular tasks.

> Well, most USB to serial adapters (NOT ALL) use the Prolific PL 2303
> chipset. There is a MacOS X driver for these adapters available online
> (from the official Prolific site) . If you search amazon you will find
> which adapter uses what chipset. And they are wayyyyy cheaper than the
> Keyspan one.

This might be the case but still you need to confirm it.
KeySpan adapters that have already been tested are known working/compatible
adapters. Wish some people would send in photos to me of what versions they
are using and a descriptions Especially those non-KeySpan branded ones -
this would be a great resource for other Users (new & old).

--
God bless,
Sonny Hung