Re: [NTLK] Docking connection via Mode port?

From: Daniel Padilla Roldán <dproldan_at_telefonica.net>
Date: Wed Aug 06 2008 - 04:55:43 EDT

matthiasm escribió:
> I have no FreeDock, but I need some info on it please.
>
> Assuming a FreeDock with a standard RS232 connector on the Modem port
> (*not* on the external serial port), can I use the modem port just
> like the external port using a standard RS232 cable?
>
> Can I sync via the dock application over the RS232 line? How?
>
> Can I use it with Inspector and NTK? How?
>
> Any insight is greatly appreciated.

    As far as I know, both ports have the same capabilities. The only
difference is that the modem port is missing the line drivers (an IC)
that shift the signals from TTL level to RS-232 levels. The freedock
provides that circuit.

    Now, on the software side, you would need to install some
extensions to tell the Dock, Inspector, etc to use the second serial
port instead. I made one extension for using the Dock with the 2nd
port, that I could send you, and some of my programs, NewtTunes &
Ringer IIRC, can be used with the second serial port, if you want to
test. For the inspector, you would need to make an extension that
modifies the serial port it uses, let me know if you need some hints at
that.

Daniel