Re: [NTLK] Exact Measurement of Newton 2000 Screen

From: Jon Glass <jonglass_at_usa.net>
Date: Wed Apr 30 2008 - 10:41:18 EDT

On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 12:23 PM, Steve Scotten <splicer@paroxysm.com> wrote:
> I'm not too young to *know* that once upon a time they really used to
> be 2" x 4". The lumber industry started "downsizing" the 2 by 4 right
> after WWII ended.

I remember discovering this as a child, when we were doing building
some additions to my our home (dating from sometime around the turn of
the previous century), when the new studs we had were smaller. I
remember that, at the time, it was explained to me, that modern 2x4s
start out at 2x4, but they are planed down to be smooth and straight.
And it was true that our aged studs were quite rough in comparison. I
don't know if that's the real reason or not, but that has stuck with
me these past 30+ years. :-) (btw, the main "beam" supporting the
center of our home was a tree hacked smooth down its length on two
"sides". The sides still had the bark on them!)

--
 -Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland