Re: [NTLK] ModBook Review

From: Alexander Schreiber <als_at_thangorodrim.de>
Date: Tue Apr 22 2008 - 06:00:31 EDT

On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 11:36:55AM +0200, Jon Glass wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 3:23 PM, Apostolos Koutropoulos
> <der_admiral@mac.com> wrote:
> > The N800 mostly satisfies my tablet needs.
> > The things that I miss most are:
> > A good PIM
>
> I thought there was a decent PIM suite--RPE or something???

There are some PIM apps, both pre-installed from Nokia and available
from other repositories. They look ok, I didn't really check them out.

> > A good note taking app
>
> That's what I use my Newton for the most! Surely there's something?

Oh, yes. There is a preinstalled notes application that saves in HTML
format, so you can even use some formatting (fonts, sizes, colors, bold
and similiar stuff).

And then there is xournal, really nice and is exports to PDF.

> > An office suite
>
> Is AbiWord and Gnumeric on the N800?

Gnumeric yes, but abiword apparently not yet(well, not in any repository I
have configured on my N810), it appears to be work in progress:
https://garage.maemo.org/projects/abiword/

> For me, the most compelling reasons to get the N800 are Einstein, the
> Palm emulator, and web and Skype. I just don't know if, in the end,
> those reasons are compelling enough.

FBReader is also a pretty good reason ;-)

Regards,
       Alex.

 looks like work."                                      -- Thomas A. Edison