Re: [NTLK] More spurious rumors or ?

From: matthiasm <mm_at_matthiasm.com>
Date: Thu Sep 27 2007 - 14:14:57 EDT

On Sep 27, 2007, at 6:19 PM, Steven Scotten wrote:

> I say that if being read to by a
> real human being is reading, then listening to a taped human being
> should be too.

Hmm. I have listened to audiobooks that were read by a computer, and
boy, that s *boring*. It has one advantage though that makes it more
similar to reading a book: the intonation of the reader will not
interpret anything into the text for you. All mental images and
thoughts come truly from the listener, just like they would from a
reader.

But again, listening to a computer voice for anything but short text
clipping is *pain*-*ful*.

Matthias

PS: I worked for a short while in the same office with a blind guy
who had everything on the computer screen read to him via a computer
voice. This was in the 80's! The computer voice came from an analog
voice chip back then, and I did not understand a single word. He
however got so used to the voice that he cranked the speed up all the
way and was probably faster listening than I would have been reading
the same text. So I guess if one sense is missing, with much
training, one can achieve very interesting compensational abilities.

----
http://robowerk.com/