Re: [NTLK] OT mini slow down was RE:Test

From: Ed Kummel <tech_ed_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue Sep 18 2007 - 11:06:16 EDT

I still have in my spare parts bucket...still in it's original Radio Shack packaging a 4kb Dram chip. The price tag on it shows $5.95. Since memory in those days were all Error Correcting, that meant that 9 of these would be necessary for 4 thousand bytes of memory...so that would cost $53.55. I still remember soldering via piggy-back additional dram chips onto the existing chips on my Tandy TRS-80 computer just so I could double the memory capacity of the computer! Heck...a 16kb upgrade module cost over $300 and came in it's own seperate plastic case that everything sat ontop of...who had that kind of room in their bedroom...or that kind of money! It took all my paper route money just to get the TRS-80 in base form!
  Ed
  web/gadget guru
matthiasm <mm@matthiasm.com> wrote:

On Sep 18, 2007, at 7:35 AM, Martin Joseph wrote:

> On Sep 17, 2007, at 9:52 PM, Joshua Cearley wrote:
>
>>> Ram is cheap these days and
>>> anything less than a GB is foolish.
>>
>> Ram isn't exactly THAT cheap if you're getting high quality ram or
>> you're not upper middle class :P
>
> Actually it is unless your too young to remember when it cost an arm
> and a leg...

49.95£ for 16kBytes. Hmm.

16kbroch_front.jpg>
or

or

That would be about 3 million pounds for 1GB or RAM... .

But you can get much more expensive with ferrite core memory (30,000
Euros for 480 bits):

Matthias

----
http://robowerk.com/