Re: [NTLK] Palm kills Folio before it's birth...

From: Jon Glass <jonglass_at_usa.net>
Date: Thu Sep 06 2007 - 06:05:43 EDT

On 9/5/07, Martin Joseph <NT@stillnewt.org> wrote:
> http://www.mercurynews.com/breakingnews/ci_6799880

I don't know about anybody else, but I'm saddened by this news. For
one thing, I think that Palm let a bunch of loud-mouthed nay-sayers
influence them too much.

However, that was my first, gut reaction. As I've read more, the fact
that Palm was using _two_ different OSes seems to me to have been a
mistake! However, the whole thing does raise more questions than it
answers...

1. How could Palm work on this for three years? and suddenly dump it
so fast? Why?
2. Does this cast doubt on Palm's credibility as an innovator? Does it
spell the end of the line for their innovativeness?
3. Palm, being a small company, it seems to me it can survive in one
of two ways--either innovate or imitate. Does this spell the end of
Palm innovating? Will the next gen. of products now imitate the
iPhone? This seems to be the latest trend in gadget-makers.
4. Is it even worth considering Palm to be a viable company any more?
Is it worth my spending money on a Treo, even? The iPhone doesn't
offer the software I need(neither, sadly, does the Newton), so am I
forced to look to WinMo? blech...

I hope that Palm truly does get the focus it needs--I'm hoping this is
more of a "Newton-cancelling" moment than a death rattle--but only
time will tell. BTW, I mean by that, that Apple had to kill a lot of
things (not just the Newton) and return focus to its primary
money-makers before I could branch out again later.

In any case, I'm sure everybody's thinking I said too much, so I'll
shut up now. ;-)

--
 -Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland