Re: [NTLK] OT - Do you speak BBC English? (definition of urban expression "served")

From: Lord Groundhog <LordGroundhog_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon Sep 03 2007 - 16:36:56 EDT

~~~ On 2007/09/03 18:51, mkow1234@aol.com at mkow1234@aol.com wrote ~~~

> "Served" is a "street" (i.e. AA urban cultural term) expression. It means to
> be "bested" or "out-done" by somebody else. To be "schooled" by somebody with
> superior skills. It is sometimes used in reference to street dancing,
> basketball, or some other urban one-on-one type of competition. "Man, you just
> got served." Sometimes the expression is "punked".
> "B----, you was punked!"? Note that I was using the term in jest, and these
> are NOT common expressions in my own personal vocabulary!!!
>

> For an amusing depiction of "being served", seek out the "South Park" cartoon
> episode in which the boys are "served" by their diverse urban counterparts
> from across town and are challenged to a dance contest.

Thanks Matt, I've been here so long I don't hear current US slang as much as
I used to do.

Shalom.
Christian

~~~ ~~~ ~~~

łAny sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from a Newton.˛
            -- What Arthur C. Clarke meant to say

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1ZzpdPJ7Zr4
(With thanks to Chod Lang)
http://tinyurl.com/29y2dl

Fight Spam! Join EuroCAUCE: http://www.euro.cauce.org/
Refresh yourself from our MUG: http://www.oxmug.org/
Join today: http://www.newtontalk.net/

Ah well, there's always more to learn, so I needn't get bored and die until
I'm at least 180 ... :D