Re: [NTLK] Am I stupid?

From: Dale Raby <daleraby_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat Sep 01 2007 - 10:58:52 EDT

Well, I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure it is a copyright, not a patent.
Apple owns the rights to any software they created, others have rights to
software they wrote for the Newton.
As to who has rights to the software now extant, well, that is a gray area
in the best of circumstances. Some of it has been released as freeware.
Some is considered by many to be "abandonware", which is a whole 'nother
legal can of worms. Some is yet owned and controlled by the owners.

Copyright law as applied to expiration and public domain is yet another
level of confusion, but here is a link that might shed some light on the
subject for you.
http://www.unc.edu/~unclng/public-d.htm<http://www.unc.edu/%7Eunclng/public-d.htm>

No, you are not stupid, though sending test messages out to the list might
brand you as such in the eyes of some. ;) FYI Gmail won't display your
message as an incoming email until somebody replies to it. They consider
this a "feature". You can find it in the sent mail, though.

Looking at your message again, I am guessing you do not speak English as a
first language. If my idioms baffle you, please contact me off-list and I
will explain. Sorry about that.

Dale