Re: [NTLK] Goodbye

From: Joel M. Sciamma <joel_at_inventors-emporium.co.uk>
Date: Wed Nov 28 2007 - 04:37:27 EST

Hi Jon,

> I suppose that, were I to admit it, I hardly use my Newton any more.
> It makes a good note-taking platform, and is great for calculating my
> monthly bills (using the 2-column notepad stationery), but I don't
> carry it out and about with me any more...

While I am using the MP2Ks less intensively than I used to, it's
still my primary "in the field" machine and the only way to take
notes when out of the house. As a record of all the business meetings
I have had with every client I have ever worked with, it's a pretty
useful resource.

It's the persistence of data which is so valuable. Notes I made in
1994 are still there and the Works has a lot of collected data which
is way more useful on the Newt than it is on the PowerBook (though it
is on both). Finding this stuff is a breeze.

The eMates are still in regular use, especially for barcode reading.

Despite the advances in tech, my Newts continue to be a better
solution than anything else I have seen, are costing nothing, require
me to engage in zero retraining or software fiddling, no data
conversion, no syncing or any other nonsense that a new platform will
inevitably get me to do.

In a few years the 'touch' machines might be there with HWR, but
until then…

Joel.