Re: [NTLK] iPod Touch or iPhone IS the next Newton!!

From: matthiasm <mm_at_matthiasm.com>
Date: Sun Nov 04 2007 - 15:43:14 EST

On Nov 4, 2007, at 7:46 PM, Robert Dylan Stewart wrote:

> Strictly speaking, the software doesn't change the IMEI number.
> Rather, the baseband firmware changes the reported IMEI to a special
> code due to it having a corrupted configuration in NVRAM. It doesn't
> even change the actual IMEI of the radio, since that would be like
> changing the MAC address burned into a network card. You can
> potentially spoof another one, but that's about it.

OK, I understand now. The IMEI that is reported wrong (but isn't
actualy wrong in the baseband) is used by the Geniuses at Apple to
reject one's phone in case it gets bricked. Admittedly, I got pretty
annoyed when my displayed IMEI changed because violating these kinds
of things are what Deutsche Telecom investigator's wet dreams are made
of. ;-)

> As for the promised SDK, it could be scripting, yes, but I think it's
> more likely to be the same thing that Apple themselves are using to
> develop apps on iPhone and iPod Touch. The phone has already been
> verified to be using a form of Cocoa, Core Animation, and various
> other APIs that are already mature on the Mac OS side. Making two
> completely separate SDKs would be a duplication of effort on a
> monumental scale. Not to say they wouldn't do that, but rather that I
> doubt it.

True. Let's hope for the best. If it does support C++ in a native
translation, I promise to give Einstein a shot. It'll be slooow though.

Thanks for your patience with my rant!

   Matthias

----
http://robowerk.com/