Re: [NTLK] german notephone problem

From: William Pociengel <hseldon_at_my.wgu.edu>
Date: Wed May 23 2007 - 11:00:00 EDT

matthiasm wrote:
> On May 22, 2007, at 10:23 PM, simon wrote:
>
>> I live in Amsterdam, The Netherlands and i own a German Notephone.
>> There are some differences between thetelephone systems. for instance
>> the RJ11 to connect the phone to the landline has a different wiring
>> scheme. in the netherlands, we use the middle pair of wires, but in
>> germany they use the outer pair. could there be more differences?
>
> This is a stupid Siemens idea. The German phone plugs are complete
> different than RJ11:
You know I'd completely forgotten about the strange physical plugs but
figured that since he had a functional phone he had used some sort of
adapter (mine is still around here somewhere).

And yes I agree if he has TIP & RING reversed he COULD be killing his
signal, but he did say that his phone was working. Unless the phone
system uses a low impedance to signal end of call, which would be a bit odd.

wouldn't hurt to give it a try but I think it is a design flaw, er
feature of the device. As Sonny said his performed the same way I'm
thinking it may not be the wiring. looking at the signaling on the line
with some equipment would go a long way in determining how this device
interacts with the phone system.

with my newton I noticed that some pcmcia modems worked better than
others. this may fall into a similar category.

william

--
Special knowledge can be a terrible disadvantage if it leads you too
far along a path that you cannot explain anymore.