Re: [NTLK] german notephone problem

From: Ed Kummel <tech_ed_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue May 22 2007 - 19:07:50 EDT

I don't know if this will help any, but any information is better than banging you head against a brick wall...
  In the US, our RJ11 is wired as black, red, green, yellow. We use the middle pair, red and green for most phone lines.
  BUT! If you have more than one phone line coming to your house, we use the black and yellow pair (the outside pair) as line two. So, red and green are line 1 and yellow and black are line 2.
  And to make this even more confusing, there is a bundle of wires in most older homes. Line one (red and green) are hooked to the blue/white stripes and the white/blue stripes. Line two (yellow and black) are hooked to the orange/white stripes and the white/orange stripes.

  I hope this gives you more information you could use.
  Ed
  web/gadget guru
simon <simski@dds.nl> wrote:
  Hello all.

for most of you this is somewhat off-topic, because it is about
telephone line standards in europe.

I live in Amsterdam, The Netherlands and i own a German Notephone.
There are some differences between thetelephone systems. for instance
the RJ11 to connect the phone to the landline has a different wiring
scheme. in the netherlands, we use the middle pair of wires, but in
germany they use the outer pair. could there be more differences?

because:

i can place a call or let the newton place a call, but i am unable to
go on hook again. could it be that the voltages are also different?

is there someone in the netherlands with as working phone to compare
the innards?

--
met vriendelijke groet
Simon Claessen