Re: [NTLK] [OT] Fountain pen ink

From: Dan <dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com>
Date: Thu May 10 2007 - 09:05:22 EDT

On 5/10/2007 5:21 AM, William Barnes wrote:
> The thread on pens and Moleskines a week or so ago resonated with me,
> as in the distant past before PDAs I very much enjoyed writing with
> Schaefer and Osmiroid pens. Coupled with my need for a decent
> haircut, which for me means Ernest Wilhelm in Vancouver, I'll make
> the ferry trip to the mainland and visit Vancouver Pen Company, which
> is unfamiliar to me but seems to have outstanding reviews despite
> being sufficiently old-fashioned to not even have a web site.
>
> I have pretty much decided on a Rotring or possibly Waterman pen, and
> would like to know what brand of ink is recommended. In the past I
> remember using Parker Quink, but have been using ball-points and gel
> pens for so many years that I don't know what has changed in inks for
> fountain pens. Are 'permanent' inks pigment-based and, if so, do they
> clog fountain pens? Most of my writing is on Moleskine journals.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help.
>
> William

I have also enjoyed fountain pens and prefer them over "normal" pens.
There is something about the feel, I can write much better with them
(and being that my handwriting is exceptionally bad (most say I should
have been a doctor) it is an advantage. But I prefer my Newt for the
reason that I don't have to write if I don't want to and can tap out
something (or plug in the keyboard) if I am having a "bad handwriting" day.

But with regard to inks, if it is for fountain pens then it will work
fine. The trick with them is to keep them clean. If you don't keep
fresh ink in them, then they tend to clog. The ink is mostly water
based, but it most won't wash out of clothing. There are several kinds
that will wash out of soap and water out of clothing, but are still
permanent on paper.

I personally prefer Schaefer myself, but I know waterman and rotring are
also very good pens (and more expensive in general). However I have not
tried the more expensive pens, so it is possible I would change this
view if I did. ;) Waterman tend to be more elegant than rotring with
rotring tending to be more industrial in look. A good pen company will
let you try any pen before you buy and let you fill it yourself. Which
I recamend you do and do some writing with it. You may even wish to
bring along your own tablet so you can get the true feel of how it will
be with the paper you will use. A well made pen won't leak (though they
all can if shaken enough, so make sure the cap is on well when traveling).

-Dan