[NTLK] Handwriting recognition benchmarking

From: Andrew Hill <adhill_at_fastmail.co.uk>
Date: Tue May 08 2007 - 18:04:16 EDT

Hi there
I have been reading with interest over the last few months various
threads about HWR. For some this really flows, for others it's a slog.
But unless you know another Newton user, it's impossible to know whether
yours if good, bad or middle of the road. Mine fluctuates between all 3
modes depending on my mood or that or my Newton. Anyway I would like to
propose a benchmarking exercise for anyone willing to participate.

The instructions are as follows:

1] Time yourself in seconds handwriting the passage below on your Newt
in an ordinary Note
2] Email me off list the following info:
2.1] Your name or an ID
2.2] The model of Newton used
2.3] How long it took you in seconds to handwrite the text
2.4] The number of errors of any kind within your text

I'll collate the responses over the next couple of weeks and post the
results. The test text is the 3 paragraphs contained between the dashed
lines. My best time was about 195 seconds with 20 inaccuracies which
included incorrect spacings, letters and capitalisations.

-------
The Apple Newton&#8217;s handwriting recognition system is so good that
these 3 paragraphs of text can be written and digitized in about 195
seconds.

Achieving this speed as well as being accurate does take a little
practise and a set up on your Newt that&#8217;s right for you. However
once you get in the swing of it you&#8217;ll be able to write quickly
and precisely and make the very best of this brilliant and thoroughly
useful device.

Now considering this technology is more than 10 years old that&#8217;s
quite amazing!
-------

Ps: the icing on the cake would be for someone with a relatively quick
time and a high degree of accuracy to post a video clip on youtube,
myspace or similar of themselves achieving this (or at least their
hand). Then current and future Newton users would be able to see for
themselves what is considered good HWR.

Comments about the idea most welcome.

All the best
Andy