Re: [NTLK] Found this on engadget...

From: Ed Kummel <tech_ed_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon May 07 2007 - 16:50:55 EDT

I too am of a dual mind when it comes to the virtues between digital and paper...but I take it from a more philosophical standpoint.
  I love the Newt. I use it exclusively (Never was much of a list maker...but the Newt makes it easy) I do my grocery shopping with the Newt, my meeting notes with the Newt (which I email to myself later on) and just general wasting time...
  But. Here is my only gripe on digital life. When I read a book, I have a physical media in my hand that is dynamic. The halves of the book constantly change as I continue reading the pages. As the plot reaches an unbelievable impasse, I begin to think of ways the book can end. If I see that there are only a few pages left in the book, then I can make the educated guess of a more conventional ending. But if I see that there is a considerable amount of "book" left, I can think of more esoteric solutions to the author's ending...The joy comes when I have "figured" out the story and it unfolds as I imagined it would.
  the same happens with I play one of the solitaire games. Playing Solitaire with a physical deck of cards, you are constantly aware of the number of cards you have left. This allows you to make the conscious decision to make risky moves or more cautions moves. The fewer cards in the deck, the more risky the moves can be...If you need a "red King" and you just started the deck, you can most likely forgo the first one in favor of another move because the odds of another "red king" appearing is greater at the beginning of the deck as opposed to the end of the deck. Unfortunately, with a digital representation, there is no accurate method to identify these nuances and while petty, these issues seriously detract from an otherwise flawless implementation.
  Ed
  web/gadget guru
  Download Newton packages directly onto your Newton: http://newton.tek-ed.com

Lord Groundhog <LordGroundhog@gmail.com> wrote:
  I have to admit I'm quite Jeckyl and Hyde about this. I love my Newt, as
anyone knows if they make the mistake of asking me, "What's that you've got
there?" Last person that asked me that -- a week ago -- ended up saying,
"Wow! I want one! You work for them, don't you?"

But despite that, I've been using a paper diary-and-notes system since 1973,
and I find I still can't give it up. I'm virtually running them
side-by-side, and although the Newton is the first thing that's seriously
made me think I could give up my paper system, and my Newt is almost never
out of arms reach now, it hasn't happened yet.

It's a strange way for me to go on after almost 2 years, and I can't explain
it rationally. I can see The Final Changeover might happen someday, but
there's something about my pocket-sized, leather-bound loose-leaf
diary/notebook that I haven't been able to give up yet.

...and just talking about it has made me want to sit down with my Newton and
write something -- anything -- just for the pleasure of it. Go figure!

Shalom.
Christian

~~~ ~~~ ~~~

łAny sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from a NewtonPad.˛
-- What Arthur C. Clarke meant to say

http://homepage.mac.com/chodlang1/iMovieTheater16.html
(With thanks to Chod Lang)
http://tinyurl.com/29y2dl

Fight Spam! Join EuroCAUCE: http://www.euro.cauce.org/
Refresh yourself from our MUG: http://www.oxmug.org/
Join today: http://www.newtontalk.net/

"The rule in Silicon Valley is that if Apple leaves the table smiling, the other guy got screwed,"
   - Rob Enderle, independant analyst on the Apple/Cisco iPhone lawsuit

Food fight? Enjoy some healthy debate
in the Yahoo! Answers Food & Drink Q&A.