Re: [NTLK] Stuff It......why I now hate it

From: Morgan Aldridge <makkintosshu_at_mac.com>
Date: Thu Mar 22 2007 - 13:19:32 EDT

Yes, duplicating the contents of the .sit file (either compressed or
uncompressed) would be my preferred method of going about tackling
that issue. And, as you point out, uncompressed is even more
preferable as it could then be downloaded directly to a Newton.

The reason I brought up preserving the original .sit files (when
applicable) is that, unfortunately, there is no way to create a
missing resource fork. Now, most archives contain only the .pkg file
and the majority of the data stored in the resource fork there are
the type & creator codes (hence having to use utilities to set these
on the Mac if they're missing). However, many non-pkg Mac files that
might be stored in .sit files (esp. Mac software, some documentation
formats, etc.) could have important content stored in their resource
forks that, when stripped off, renders them completely useless.

Of course, most of these are moot points considering UNNA archives
are not being actively updated.

Morgan Aldridge

--
morgant@makkintosshu.com