[NTLK] Stuff It......why I now hate it

From: Dan <dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com>
Date: Wed Mar 21 2007 - 19:31:14 EDT

Stuff it (.sit) is the compression software that is as popular on the
Mac platform as Zip is on Windows (I am sure most people on this list
already know this but I wanted to mention it for the sake of clarity).
I never use to have any grievance against it since the company offered a
"expander" that would decompress anything created with their software.
It was a extra bit of software I needed to install but it was small and
therefore not a big issue.

Well NOW it is! A little while ago the company that made Stuff It was
purchased and things have changed. You can no longer just download the
simple expander. Now you have to get the full 30 day trial version of
stuff it which is quite bloated when you just wanted to decompress some
files. And if that was bad enough, after the 30 days while the
"expander" part of Stuff It still works it harasses you with pop ups
asking you to register and trying to take you to their website to do so.
 For every file you go to decompress you get this pop up that stays for
10 seconds before you can decompress it. I suppose one could use the
older version of the expander, however it won't decompress the newer files.

It has become a real annoyance when decompressing my archives which are
a good percentage utilizing the Stuff It format. I never converted them
to .zip since there was a simple nice decompresser. I would certainly
never purchase software that harasses someone when they try to
decompress a file created with said software. I can only imagine that
this must be driving their sales down.

I would suggest to anyone considering purchasing or upgrading Stuff It
to find something else that is less hostile to people who just want to
decompress the files. And if you are already using it, consider those
that don't when creating files for archives etc.

-Dan